Thursday, February 2, 2012

Door Hardware Success!

My shopping trip at Lowes and Architectural Exchange were a success today!  Lowes had hinges that will work great.  I got the oil rubbed bronze because it reminded me of the patina you find on old metal hardware, but now I'm second guessing myself.  I'm picturing a nice fresh coat of milky white paint on all the trim and those super dark hinges sticking out like a sore thumb.  Well, we'll have to see...

I also picked up some locks from Lowes that are supposed to look old (they're too cheap looking, though, in my opinion) just in case Anna didn't have any.  
None of the stock deadbolts were going to work on a 1 1/4" door anyway.  Good news for us...Anna had plenty to choose from.  Andrew had to sort through a box of individual pieces, but he found 2 sets that are in working order.  


So now we'll take those two plus the one that's already on the front door to a locksmith to have them re-keyed.  The bonus in that is he'll be able to key them all so that one key will fit all three exterior doors.


Anna also had two plates for the kitchen door that will compliment the front door with their oval shape and beaded edge.  Oh how I'd love to do that style throughout the entire interior too, but I don't know if that's going to be possible. 

And best for last...just as we were finishing up with the hardware, I walked on over to the stair parts area to get some ideas on what type of newell posts and spindles we should be looking for.  There they were...a full set (4 pcs) of big beautiful square newell posts with paneled sides.  I couldn't peel my eyes from them.  Andrew agreed that they'll be great for the Vance staircase, so we can check that off our list now!  Believe it or not, I didn't get a picture of them before we left the store.  She marked them "sold" and we'll pick them up later; so I'll have to post a picture of the set later when we get them

.


No comments:

Post a Comment